The building was designed by architect Maurice F. Moore in the Italianate style, and built in 1927 by James J. Galvin, for the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France. The building was sold to the French Embassy in the late 1960's and became the French International School. Oakcrest School occupied the building from 1975 to 2000, when it moved to McLean, Virginia. The site was added to the DC Inventory of the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
Yuma Study Center, Inc. is a 501-c3 not-for-profit organization.
The Yuma Study Center, Inc., acquired title to the building on Yuma Street in NW Washington, D.C. in 2008. Due to the fine collaborative work done by Quinn Evans Architects, Forrester Construction, At-Site, Inc., Tenleytown Historical Society, Yuma Study Center received the following awards:
- 2014 Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation, DC Preservation League and the District of Columbia
- 2013 Award of Excellence Associate Builders and Contractors, Metro Washington Chapter
- Craftsmanship Award, Washington Building Council
- LEED Gold Rating US Green Building Council